Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The Upsides of the Job

After having a little bit of a whinge in my last blog, I thought I should note some of the fantastic things about work and a little bit more about the dynamics of the office.

There is a lot going on at the consultancy, all the time. There seems to always be interest from potential clients and new and revised needs from already existing clients. We manage all aspects of clients' needs from formation of strategy to implementation including work with editors, graphic designers and a range of suppliers. The consultancy offers services such as events management, communication strategies, advertising and marketing guidance, annual reports and merger advice and administration.

I have recently been offered a payed position at the company, whilst I am excited and flattered I'm not entirely sure that this is the field I want to be in. I have accepted the offer on a casual basis and am hoping that with this I get more of my own projects which I think would increase my enjoyment of the position. I have spoken to my supervisor about my doubts and she is being very supportive and doing the best she can to convince me to stay...

Despite my indecision about joining the consultancy permanently, there are certainly things that I love about my placement which deserve a mention. The office is extremely girlie - there's a fair bit of giggling, lots of coffee and cupcakes and when we're having a bad day we all guiltily get KFC. We all have a fond attachment to Officeworks so we get very excited about doing stationary orders. And finally my 'office buddy' is great company. He's an editor and I've therefore learnt the meanings of a lot of incredibly random words, have clarified when to use a semi colon (I think) and the difference between practice and practise...

1 comment:

Katharina Wolf said...

Congratulations on the job offer, Lani! Well done.

Don't worry; you are not signing your life away. While there are definitely a million other opportunities out there for you, a casual PR position is a fantastic opportunity to gain additional experience while finishing your degree. You never know who you'll meet and what kind of opportunities will suddenly open up in front of you.

You have done exactly the right thing by being open and honest about your doubts. Employers appreciate that! This shows that you are now a true PR professional! Once again: congratulations!