I didn't think I realised how much work I would need to catch up on after a few days at home with the flu. Coming back into work today (after contemplating if I was up for it yet) I walked in to find my desk mounded with jobs, notes, boxes, deliveries and the like that I needed to action or complete. All I can say is that I felt like going straight back home to bed - how was I going to get through all this? After spending most of the morning sorting everything out and replying to all my emails etc, I sat down and tried to make sense of the fact that Public Relations and Events work requires so much time and planning that it is so easy to get behind if you aren't organised or know what you're doing. Public Relations and Events entail so many different tasks (which I'm sure many of you could relate to) that you need to know how to prioritise and (sometimes) say no, however, you also need to know how to be a team player. For example, for work I create, write articles for, and edit a monthly newsletter/bulletin that we send out to all our members. Once we have received them from the printers it is normally the Receptionists task to place inside the inserts, put them in envelopes, label the envelopes and postmark them and put them in the post. Unfortunately, in between the time of our last bulletin and now the receptionist has left and being short staffed no-one else has had the time to do this. So still recovering from the flu, I decided that I would sit in our Boardroom quietly and get started on this repetitious task. I must say, even though it was boring it was also quite relaxing as I didn't have to think about the million other things that I needed to do - I just concentrated on the task at hand. As you all have probably experienced in your placements, Public Relations isn't always about strategy, reports, media, events etc, there are also the administrative tasks that need to be done, which can sometimes be a just what you need. By the end of the day I got 100 done so Monday leaves me only 400 more to do. . . yay!
'Til then.
Mel
1 comment:
I just totally understand how you feel. Its just one of those typical admin days. And the feeling of being sick and all its not something nice to have while dealing with these 'strenous' boring tasks. But on the bright side, i usually think of these admin work as stuff that does not require brain power. Haha..!
My last week for my placement was to work on an event, and i spent almost two whole days, just making a napkin for the event day itself. I was sprawled over the office floor with the napkins, ribbons and name tags, trying to string and tie everything in like a nanna. Sounds small maybe, but it does make a huge difference in someway. The outcome is usually what you will see.
Anyway, enjoy the rest of your placement days. I'm so doomed thinking on how to start on my report.
Post a Comment