Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Deadlines :(

There is now one week until the major event I have been working on. There is not a whole lot to say except it is STRESSFUL!! It seems like there is still alot to be done with very little time. Most have my tasks have involved working with suppliers and I have set all deadlines as one week before the event. At this point there is still confusion with certain payment details and some suppliers I havent heard from, so I suppose unfortunately it's time to start hassling them which I really haven't been looking forward to :( All the procedures that have to be followed are making delivery and payment extra stressful and complicated and its difficult to make it clear to suppliers what is required of them when I'm getting confused (and sometimes others in the office as well) quite regularly... fingers crossed...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lani,
I completely understand how stressful it becomes approaching a deadline. I have been undertaking my work placement at a large Mining Company and I am in charge of gathering information on all 40 Australian Corporate Affairs staff.

I have been chasing up people for the past three weeks trying to get their details. It makes you feel like a nag, but I'm hoping the persistence will pay off.

Good luck with it all

Katharina Wolf said...

Chasing up people for information is definitely not the most glamorous of tasks, I agree - however, it is one of those crucial things you will never be able to escape.

Keep in mind that you have a legitimate reason to phone people up for this information. You are not trying to sell them something they don’t want or need – you have a job to do and deadlines to meet.

Having said that, keep in mind that your attitude towards the phone call will travel through the phone line – that’s why service centre staff gets trained to smile. You might think nobody can see you or your face – but they will get a pretty good feeling for what it might look like. It’s amazing – but a smile CAN travel through the phone line.

See it as an opportunity! This way you will a) learn more about other people in and around your organisation and b) continue to build your own network. You’ll be amazed, but if you do a good job, even on something that might feel like a simple and insignificant task, people will remember you! One day this phone call might be a good ice breaker in a job interview or at an industry event.

Alex Tan P J said...

Hi Lani,

I believed I faced the same issue as you. Last minute always there is something that needs to be coordinated.
I personally had to finish up at least 5 work pieces in my last week due to the teacher in charge prefer to have something different. The ideas they had was not informed to me earlier, but nevertheless, I stayed up late and finish it. My only thing was that the day will always come to an end. Tough days will pass successfully. The most rewardable time when everyone appreciate your effort.

Therefore, go for it. I can do it , so can you. A little lame but than it's true.

All the best. PR students is the best . Cheers

Michele said...

Hi Lani,
I hope you're enjoying your placement despite the obvious stress of it all.
I too have experienced the stress involved with having to meet certain deadlines. You are often relying on external forces to complete a task and can feel helpless, (especially when thay fail to get back to you like they promise).
I had to get some product information from a company, to feature in our magazine, which would have been great exposure for them, however despite repeated calling and emailing they only got back to me after the deadline had passed.
They were dissapointed but I had given them plenty of time and had made several attempts to get what we needed and had given them our deadline. I guess it just goes to show that there are certain things we can't control, however I made sure I still got the information to put on file for possible future use.
I would have to say deadlines offer one of the biggest stresses because tasks are always popping up that have to get done while others are left half finished to be completed later. This also adds to the excitement of it all too because it keeps you on your toes.
As our next big deadline looms, with the next edition of the magazine going to print soon, there is plenty to keep me on my toes!
Hope it all works out!!
Michele