Is been 20 days since I worked in a not-for-profit organisation. Yesterday (16th May) was my last day and I am glad to say that I enjoyed my placement here. I can’t believe that 20 days passes by in a flash of time.
During my 20 days placement, I have changed my personal view about not-for-profit organisation and I have learned heaps from my supervisor. I am glad to say that my supervisor taught me various tasks that I can now know what to expect when I am actually working in a PR/Marketing department once I graduate.
I noticed that some people mentioned about office politics while they were doing their placement. Fortunately, people at my workplace are friendly and pleasant enough to always lend a helping hand.
In these 20 days of placement, I have learnt so much and actually notices that whatever that was taught in PR 200 and PR 250 such as writing media releases, compiling media kits, helping out for an event and getting budgets done was actually put into real test in the real world. I guess I am glad that PR students from Curtin has an advantage of learning it as a unit and getting a general idea of what is needed to be done and included in for example preparing media kits.
Personally, I enjoyed this unit a lot and wasn’t expecting that it would be fun to actually work in a company for 20 days. I am going to miss working in this organisation and I’ve actually asked for an extension till end of this month. My supervisor think is great as an extra help is always needed in a not-for-profit organisation.
Oh well, right now, I’ll have to finish up writing the final report that is going to due in less than 2 weeks time. All the best to all of you who have completed your placement and good luck to the rest who is finishing up the report.
Cheers!
6 comments:
I'm glad that you enjoyed your placement. All the PR experiences gained from your work placement are very valuable for your future career in the field of PR. I'm joyful to hear that you get to be involved with the real-life tasks of the organisation. Yup, all the skills gained from PR 200 and PR 250 are all used in your work placement. Well done.
You'll make it all the way. I know and had faith in that in full 100%. You will be a successful PR person in the future.
Hey Christie-Ann!
Thanks for the comment. Appreciate it! Let's just hope you and i will be a successful PR practitioner or maybe consultant in the future!
Cheers!
It's my honor to encourage my fellow PR 393 friends. Not like me, I was left alone in my work placement and there are things I had to observe to learn myself.
I did tasks (some of them) for first times and not all of them turned right. When I made mistakes, I was corrected straight and sometimes it wasn't easy to adapt to the corrections to learn to be a better working adult.
Hey Christie!
Left alone in your work placement? I'm sorry to hear that. I guess i was being pretty lucky to work in this organisation as well as having a great supervisor who teaches me things.
Yeah, when I did my first mistake, I was afraid and it turned out alright. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Oh well, I guess we all learn from it one way or the other.
Well, all the best in whatever your doing right now! I know you can cope with it and im sure you'll be great at it as you've gain various experience from your previous placement.
All the best!
It is very encouraging to hear that you are enjoying your placement. I will be myself finishing my placement in two days and I am already missing the work environment.
You have learned new PR skills and I agree that Curtin students have a big advantage because they have the opportunity to learn and put their knowledge into real life practice. My placement there has been successful and it is mostly due to my knowledge in PR. In fact, having a knowledge in PR has enabled me to see things differently.
I got the opportunity to work on a survey on which my supervisor assigned me to do. The survey actually consisted to liaise with the Mauritian NGO's and I did the survey form myself by preparing the questions and I myself contacted the NGO's.
Since I am familiar with different aspects of PR like community relations,communication, internal relations gathered throughout my PR course, it has given me some direction on what to do and I must say it was really helpful in these times.
Well, I wish you all the best and I hope you will keep on learning new things in whatever you do.
Good luck!!
Sandrine
Hey Sandrine,
That was a great comment that you left!
I got to admit that im missing my workplace though I extended it till end of this month.
Writing and creating all the questions to ask the NGO's all by yourself is definately not an easy task as the questions need to be original and hoping not to offend the other party.
I would have to agree with you that having the advantage of learning and putting whatever that has been taught in uni and applying it in the real life situation is great as it makes me feel that i can do it with full of confidence.
Thanks for your wishes and I hope you all the best in the future!
Post a Comment