Sunday, October 19, 2008

End of internship



Hi again everyone,

This will be my last week interning at the Cancer Council and I’m currently in the process of writing the final report. I’m sad to leave the Cancer Council but at the same time very happy because I will be graduating after this semester and start my career.
Writing the report made me reflect back on all the things I have learnt and done at the organisation, which is mainly in the events management side of PR. I remembered Katharina saying that if you would like to work in the events industry, the internship is a great way to test the water and it could make or break your mind. I can truly say that it has really helped me to find my career path and events management is definitely what I would like to pursuer in the future.

A couple weeks ago the Cancer Council hosted the Pink Ribbon ball, a fundraising event especially for Breast Cancer. The event was held at the Perth Convention Centre, it was a very glamorous night attended by many of Perth’s elite and endorsed by large companies such as Toyota (the picture above). During the night there were activities to keep the attendees entertained and raise funds, performance by Cirque du Soleil, silent auctions and raffles are just to name a few.
I learnt that there is a lot of planning and hard work that needs to be done to create and executed a production. After all the hard work I think the success of the night is a reward in its self, we raised over $11,000 for breast cancer research, education and treatment.

Girls Night In, also held in October is the last company wide event for the year. Currently we are in the process of tying up loose ends, this includes previous fundraisings as Daffodil Day and more recently the Pink Ribbons for breast cancer. The next major event which is also the Cancer Council’s biggest fund raiser, Australia’s Biggest Morning Tea will start again July of next year but due to the scale and the behind the scene work planning has officially started.

My goals for this internship was to learn, see and do some work for an event and what I got from it was not only that but I had a lot of fun doing it. For the report I will try my best to describe what I have learnt in the last 3 months. Wish me luck guys…

Take Care

1 comment:

Cassie said...

Wow, sounds like you had a great placement! Your experience is very similiar to mine - working for a charity. Its always amazing to see what they can pull off with limited funds and the good that they can achieve.