One of the most enjoyable aspects of my time at the WACA was the responsibility given to me to design a promotional flyer for the Beach Cricket Day we ran. The day itself was intended to boost the profile of junior cricket in Western Australia and to cause a subsequent rise in the number of children enrolling in their local clubs. With these objectives in mind, it was my task to create an informative, visually appealing and concise flyer which would appeal to both young children and their parents/guardians.
To capture the attention of the younger market, I included an action picture of ‘youngsters’ playing beach cricket, bright colours and a bold, informal font. It was hoped that these visual aspects would gain the young market’s interest and that the flyer would then be passed on to the parents who held the responsibility of transporting the minors to and from the event. Due to the guardians’ influence on the overall attendance of the Beach Cricket Day it was essential that I included information on the activities to be conducted, safety measures and supervision. The time, date and location were also obvious inclusions.
After completing the initial draft I had it checked by my supervisor, who recommended that I reduce the word count. However, overall he was very pleased with what I had produced and after I made the necessary alterations I was given the ‘go ahead’ to delve into to graphic design stage. Fortunately, I was able to work with the in-house graphic designer who is an absolute wiz on all things computers. Together, we aimed to produce an eye-catching and cohesive document. During this phase, the work I’d done with Microsoft Publisher in the PR Techniques unit came in real handy!
Once the flyer design had been confirmed, we began the distribution process. Hundreds were handed out at Pura and Ford Cup games and schools in our targeted area also received several hundred copies.
This experience is one that gave me great exposure to the technical side of the public relations profession.
1 comment:
Hey Josh,
Just read you're post about the flyer you designed, that sounds like it would have been a really interesting procees to be apart of. This would have also been a great hands on experience and as you had the freedom to run with it so to speak im sure it would have pleased you that your supervisor was happy with the work you had done.Keep it up mate
Post a Comment