Monday, April 6, 2009

Reached the middle of my internship!

Friday was my tenth day of internship at Mamba Ltd. and I do not need to wait more to say that I've been learning a lot of interesting concepts. Some days ago, I was introduced to my first client brief. Quite amazing event compared to all those stereotyped briefs on which we were working during our tutorials. Surely, in real life, the brief is more interesting.
A well-known company in the island had sent briefs to different communication companies for the re- branding of one of its products which is rice. This is where I started using all I studied for three years, but I was also helped by the director.
First of all, I had to use the internet to read some texts about the history of this type of rice. Then, according to the brief, we had to situate the positioning of this brand of rice in Mauritius. The client highlighted that one of our tasks would be to avoid brand cannibalism, as he is a supplier of three differently branded rice on the local market.
All the other steps which are to come seem to be interesting, as we will have to work on the concept, image and work out some interesting slogans. In other words, more time to develop my creative skills.
Some secondary tasks which I had to complete were the typing of some texts for a brochure, and the search for images online. Once more, one interesting step in the search for images, is that when you take an online picture, you need to pay for it, which is very different from what we were doing in class (copy and paste from google with references). So if I have found an appropriate picture, I need to send it to the designer, who will see whether all the technical details such as the size of the picture are what we need, then send it to the director, who will buy the photograph.
More to come in the next post.

3 comments:

Merinda said...

What are the real client briefs like?

I've always assumed they are different to what we see at uni, but never been really sure how they look/ what happens...

Your placement sounds really interesting!

Olivier said...

Well, concerning the format it's the same as what we get at Uni, with the description of the product, message conveyed and target market, but what is different is that most of the time you get good, nice, simple and interesting briefs compared to Uni's briefs; opening of a restaurant launching of a flower shop etc. What was annoying me at Uni was that it was most of the time written, "of your choice", or "the right to add any relevant material you find important". This was starting to become boring.

In real life, you get good pieces of job to work out. The motivation is greater for research.

Hope this replies to your query. Thanks for adding a comment on my blog.
Olivier.

Merinda said...

Thanks for the info Olivier!

I understand what you mean- it's a bit hard with all the hypothetical stuff at uni.