Monday, May 25, 2009

And it all comes to an end

Over the past 10 weeks I have gained a great insight into an industry that I have studied for three and a half years. I have had the opportunity to put theory into practice and learn new ways of executing different tasks. Although this unit was sometime hard due to the heavy time demands I feel as if overall I have benefited greatly. I feel sad that I have to leave a team that I was just getting to really know and move onto the next thing. Although I have discovered that my passion does not lie in public relations I have gained experiences that I can apply to an array of both personal and professional situations which life may throw at me. In my final post I would like to share with you the top five things I have learnt over my prac.

1. It's who you know. I think in all professions, especially public relations, the people you know are far more valuable than theoretical models we may have learnt. It amazed me that your net working ability often determines the out come of an event/situation.

2. Feel excited about you will learn rather that scared about what you don't know. In the begging of my prac I was terrified that I wouldn't know enough to be a helpful member of the team. I am convinced the results that I produced where not as good as they could have been. As soon as I let go, not thinking of a task as something I didn't know how to do but rather something I could learn, I found I was far more creative and useful.

3. No question is stupid. There where plenty of times during my prac that I was nervous about asking a question in case I looked dumb. What I found when I did ask is that the people around you are more often than not incredibly eager too help. Not only are you able in increase your knowledge, it often results in the job being done much better. Not to mention quicker.  

4. Passion is the Key. When a person has a passion for what they are doing often that passion will be passed on the the stakeholders and the job is done much better. Stay true to what you really want to do and you will get there in the end. If you still don't know, experience everything you can. Along the way you will find where you want to be, often with an amazing tale to tell in the end.

5.  Know who you are talking to. I don't think that anyone will disagree when I say that public relations has a lot to do with communicating a message to a target market. This concept can be applied to multiple aspects of your life. Know who you are talking to whether it be in a campaign, your boss or a client it is ok to have different ways to express yourself. In fact this is crucial in effectively communicating a message.

I hope some of my experiences where insightful. It is sad that my placement has now finished although I will take its lessons long into my professional career.

I would love to hear things that others have learnt throughout their time at prac. Please feel free to comment:) Best wishes to everybody else in finishing their prac.

Kind Regards 
Emily Colman


4 comments:

Tobias said...

Hi Emily,

It sounds like you've got a great deal out of your placement.

I'd have to agree with all the 5 points that you've raised with particular emphasis on number 1.

I think that due to the nature of PR and the general extroverted nature of PR professionals, networking is probably one of the most useful tools for career advancement. My employer for example has never once advertised a job (in 22 years!)...Instead they have always known someone or heard of someone fit for the job...through their own personal networks.

It's probably something everyone should keep in mind with graduation looming and less jobs being advertised.

All the best with your studies and career!

Tobias

Anonymous said...

Hi Emily, your five points basically described my prac experience!

I agree with Tobias also, networking (as we get told all the time!) is so important in PR roles. It was through a contact I made at my current job at a PR consultancy that I gained a placement for my practicum, and through this role I have met several other people I will be in touch with about more work experience in the future. So yes, networking is definitely a big one!

I feel the same way about leaving my work placement, just as I was getting to know the team really well it is time to pack up and leave!

And I have definitely asked my fair share of stupid questions, but most of the time the person I was asking hadn't considered it either, and what I thought was a stupid question ended up being helpful in troubleshooting.

carbs said...

Hi Emily,

Great post. I certainly agree with the points that you raised.

I said it in one of my own blogs and I agree definitely agree with you on the point you made about networking! It is so, so important. The old saying ‘it’s not what you know it’s who you know’ definitely applies in PR. Not only will networking be important in our careers as PR practitioners, but it will be extremely important when it comes to chasing certain jobs. A friend of mine just got a job at a really awesome, highly competitive place, because she was able to get in contact with someone that worked there through a friend. Neat hey?!

I know how you feel about feeling silly asking questions. What I’ve come to learn is that, that is what this experience is all about. Asking questions, finding out things we didn't know, drawing on the experiences of those working around us to learn. I don't feel stupid asking questions now either because at the end of the day, not matter how silly I might feel, I'm going to feel even sillier when I make a mistake because I didn't ask for help.

Good luck with everything

Nicole

farha said...

Hi Emily,

I found your blog so interesting and relevant. I have only been at my prac for about 10days now, but I can already see how your points apply. I remember in early PR units a tutor once told me the importance of networking. It is only until I went out into the real world that I realised how important making contacts really is. Some of the contacts I have made through various work experience positions have introduced me to some incredibly influential people that could help me in my future. I have learnt that maintaining contact and just sending a simple email to say ‘hi’ has proven effective in building and maintaining professional relationships.

The point you made about knowing who you are talking to is also so important! As an intern and newbie to the PR field you can often feel nervous and ignorant when talking to industry professionals. Spending a little extra time doing background research about your topic and the person’s position is also crucial. I know it has made me more confident when calling journalists, PAs and business directors, plus you don’t seem like a total idiot when talking to professionals.

And finally passion IS the key! You have to believe in what you are doing. It makes working so much more fun and interesting. When you are passionate everything that you produce is at the highest quality which in-turn makes it more effective.

Good luck with everything and thanks for the pointers!

Cheers, Farha