Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Communication...Its importance in every facet of PR

Well it seems that my concerns were all for nothing. And yet again I come back to the importance of communication.

In my previous post I was worried that I was annoying my supervisor by finishing work too quickly. However, after approaching her about it I found it was the exact opposite. They thought it was fantastic that they could give me any job and I'd hit the ground running.

In the last few weeks I've really been focusing my time and effort on helping to organize upcoming events. We had a big internal staff meeting with everyone from institutional banking invited.

Despite this less than 50% of people RSVP'd and through industry experience I have learnt that sometimes running an internal event is much harder than am external one. One reason for this is because staff think that it's not neccessary ro RSVP, no matter how many times you reiterate it's importance. Because of this, people will just turn up and expect to have a name badge, be cartered for and have a chair just like those who RSVP'd. Although this sometimes occurs with external events it is much more prevelant with internal events.

Unfortunately, when we were organising the event we did not anticipate all 70 staff to show when only 30 RSVP'd. So we were running around frantically at the last minute rounding up extra chairs. Luckily, however we did print out all the names even if they did not respond and had blank ones for any extra's.

This was lucky because somehow some staff members from Melbourne who were in Perth on the day also decided to cone along.

One of the most difficult things to deal with working in pr in a large organisation is the expectation that Perth has the sane facilities as say Sydney. This has been a huge headache for us Perth pr people who have been hit by the "profered suppliers" line.

Ok to explain, prefered suppliers are those who have signed on with anz. In Perth there isn't much choice for venues so if someone choses not to become a preferred supplier it makes it very difficult to organist events. Until recently, Perth seemed to get away with not using them but all that is changing. I guess my question is although anz is a global brand, can you standardize everything, or in some cases are states better off being thought of as facing different circumstances.

The same is happening with the economic breakfast where there are only two av specialist companies. If one doesn't meet expectations and the other isn't on the prefered suppliers list you are forced to continue using a mediocre company.

It is these gaps in internal communication that lead to these situations.

Let me know your thoughts. Do you gave prefered suppliers? What's the benefits to pr of using a prefered supplier?

Cassie

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: