Hi All!
Let me begin with a quick background on my placement endeavours. I have always had an interest in the arts, pursuing dancing and music lessons for my own enjoyment. So it was only natural that I thought I’d approach the arts industry for work experience and get a feel for what PR involves there. The organisation I was most interested in was the Department of Culture and the Arts (DCA), the governing body of the W.A arts industry.
When I called Human Resources, the officer I spoke to was unsure if the Department took placements specifically in PR. Nor did she know who I could speak with to find out if it would be possible. I was told to send through some forms so that I could be on the list of consideration.
With no response, I half-heartedly started to look elsewhere. But I knew the DCA was still the place I wanted to go. So after more internet research, I finally got the guts to call the Director of Communications, Rebecca Coakley. And I’m glad I did! Rebecca was friendly. I sent through all information and she kept in constant contact with me as she went through all official channels to confirm...with success! I am now so gratefully for her effort, considering I’m sure she had other, more important things to do on her list. Just like everyone else has said over and over again, picking up the phone and having a direct conversation REALLY does make a difference. Also do your research, show a genuine, keen interest in the industry and make a connection between yourself and the organisation’s activities (explain why you want to work for them).
I’ve now been at the DCA for just over a week and completing my placement full-time so the days are flying past. I am currently working in the corporate affairs department in Perth. I work with the Director of Corporate Affairs (C.A), Rebecca Coakley, and two Senior C.A Officers, Cherie Hardingham-Braid and Shauna Weeks. The team is small but they are so welcoming. They always try to include me in their activities and keep me informed, even if it means just observing as they work away.
On a daily basis, I do media monitoring for the Department and the Portfolio and I actually enjoy it. The Department uses media monitors; an online, external agency that picks up all relevant news coverage (print, T.V., radio). I go through the content and print newspapers (in case we miss out on anything media monitors haven’t picked up) and report those which are appropriate for management. Sifting through these has kept me up-to-date on general news and current projects in local arts industry. I love reading up on all the new performances, exhibitions, film shoots and other initiatives!
I've also sat in on their Strategic Communications Group meeting, where the Communication Managers from the different agencies came together for discussion. By just listening, I've learnt so much about government. There are several levels of communication that they must go through for a single activity and coordinating these gets quite difficult. They're also responsible for making sure the Minister of Arts is kept informed and aware of all issues. At times, communication with the Minister’s office isn’t easy. For example, sometimes the Minister’s office expects launches and events to be changed at the last minute, which isn’t always possible due to third party contractual arrangements. Hearing about top-down and horizontal communication approaches made me wish I’d paid more attention in PR Corporate!
I'm thoroughly enjoying my placement so far. Corporate communications is more interesting than I originally expected. I am also learning so much about local culture and arts! ‘Til next time!
1 comment:
I totally agree with you on showing initiative to the organization. Knowing what you are passionate about, you must do enough research to find out the organization’s background, activities and whether it provides you the opportunity to make you achieve your goals. Then the most effective and efficient way is to make a call. That’s how I got my placement position.
What I do is very similar to your duties. Media monitoring is imperative to keep us up-to-date on what’s happening in our industry and it also helps our decision-making. I’m also grateful that my team includes me in their meetings and events, gives me lots of opportunities to practice my PR skills. The team is small but dynamic. Everyone is so professional, friendly and helpful.
Post a Comment