It’s been a very interesting past few weeks at CSPR. Firstly we had the Mundaring Truffle Festival which turned out to be a great event. I went down on the Saturday to check it out with my Mum and Dad and there was a great crowd and atmosphere around the place. There were lots of stalls to buy things from and to sample products and of course, lots and lots of truffles. You could smell the very distinctive smell when walking through the different areas of the festival.
The event turned out great. As the horse meat drama was sorted out, there were no issues on the day with that. There was a great turn out which was about the same as last year, just a bit more but it was all in all a great result for the shire, the consultancy and everyone else involved in organising the festival.
After the festival came lots and lots of media monitoring and media reports.
My first few weeks of my placement were comprised mainly of work for the festival with other minor bits and pieces of work to do. After the festival there was still work to be done in terms of monitoring and debriefing but the consultancy slowed down a bit. Since the festival I have had the chance to work on a number of different projects including helping devise a strategy for the Foodbank Christmas appeal, writing a media alert for a clinical trial and some smaller bits of work for the upcoming City in Bloom exhibition just to name a few.
One of the more interesting campaigns that I have worked on was a media release for SIDS and Better Pets and Gardens. The reason why this particular piece of work was so interesting was because it had to be so specifically tailored and targeted to each paper we were sending it to. This required a lot of knowledge about the location of the store in relation to which was the paper for that area and the owners and managers of the stores. This one task took me all morning to make absolutely perfect and targeted correctly for each place I was sending it. It was one basic media release but subtly rewritten at least 8 different ways for the different stores and papers. Then when sending out the emails to the different editors I had to make sure that the photos accompanying the media releases going to the Community Newspaper Group was different to the photos that were going to the independent papers. But we got a great response from this story so all that extra effort was definitely worth it.
Christine my supervisor has her own little business on the side of her consultancy called Slinky Sleeves (www.slinkysleeves.com.au), and we have been working on ways to get the awareness up about it and in turn generate sales. One day when I got to work experience, (not having particularly having put any extraordinary effort into the way I looked that day), Christine asked me if I didn’t mind having some photos taken of me with the sleeves on. Thinking that these would be below the neck shots I said of course I didn’t mind. Within the next few hours we headed into Subi to one of the cafes and Nat this lady Christine works with showed up with her nice SLR camera. I don’t think I could have been more embarrassed! The photos were not below the neck like I was hoping, and they were in the middle of a cafe! I didn’t really mind though, I just don’t know how well the photos would have actually turned out!!
The last few weeks have been really interesting. It has shown me what it’s like in consultancy life and to be working on more than one client a day. Sadly my time at the consultancy is nearly up but I still have a few more days to make the most of.
Hopefully I won’t have to try my luck at modelling anymore!
No comments:
Post a Comment