Friday, October 22, 2010

Sunset - Chapter One

So I’ve had a few half finished drafts of posts sitting on my desktop for a while, here go the finishing touches and my exciting debut on the PR 393 Blog.

To begin, what a busy semester! I had always heard your last is always your easiest, and I guess that makes me the exception to the rule. I have been completing my placement at Sunset Events this semester and have in my time experienced mixed reactions. But in this chapter I’ll just speak about my time there prior to the excellent One Movement Festival (which I will discuss in Chapter 2).

So with my commencement at Sunset I have to say the highlight was a long and insightful chat with the team’s Artist Liaison, Bruna, about event organization, the music industry hierarchy and the industry itself at first glance. This was fantastic; straight away I knew that Bruna would be a contact who always had the answers. In the time since she has provided me with guidance within the industry, even when it was of no concern to Sunset Events.

In the coming weeks I would perform a great range of tasks which gave me a better understanding of what running a large-scale real event is like. One of my first tasks was to visit stakeholder businesses on King Street to explain Sunset Events’ involvement with the One Movement Festival and help them with finding information on how it may affect them. After this there were tasks involving venue hire, equipment hire and purchase, creating and using practical spreadsheets, creating staff and punter information packs, and a variety of other things that have essentially taught me one thing. Running an event is all about the little things and attention to detail.

With all this said and done it occurred to me that I had done next to no networking outside the organization itself. This of course would all change at One Movement. See you in Chapter Two.

3 comments:

Amy Dorozenko said...

Oh, so you're working under Bruna? It all makes sense now. She's a lovely girl. I was in the PR office with Janelle and Ivana.

Ellie said...

Hey Ryan,

I know Bruna because I do quite a bit of music work around the place, particularly merch work. I was in the music store over One Movement too. She definitely is a great contact and also a really lovely person. Keep her on hand as a mentor and I'm sure you'll be able to go far in this industry!

Ryan W said...

I've worked with almost everyone. But I do prefer Bruna best, she just creates a great atmosphere and is full of information and stories.
I definitely understand how much more stressful it gets down with Janelle and Ivana, especially during the lead up to One Movement. Did they ever let you deal with the media directly? I found there wasn't a whole lot of empowerment in the Sunset office.
I do merch too, and Abbey Road Live. Maybe I'll see you again sometime soon Ellie.