Dear all,
I finished my 20th placement yesterday. Overall, I really enjoyed working for Socialite Media and going to miss being onboard.
It is funny how I was skeptical if I wil really enjoy doing a placement that is focused on social media, handling businesses social media accounts, would it be fun or interesting or boring? On the other hand, I wanted a placement that I was passionate to work for.
However, I was proved wrong, after being through 20 days of my placement, I really supported the idea of new age marketing, that businesses should use social media- strategically of course. Just a thought that I might add, while working online, (i.e. blogs, social media etc) with a position of a PR officer, the way you try to promote your company, sometimes overwrites with marketing. Sometimes, it gets a little confusing if you are doing marketing or PR.
Experience and skills gained from this placement:
- To be initiative.
This means dont wait to be approached. if your supervisor gives you a task always update your progress so that he/she knows you are on track, especially during your placement. It is also good to initiate feedback from your supervisors if they dont give it to you. This allows you to have a better understanding of how the company works, how they want things done, basically, their company personality.
-Speaking Up
If you have something you are unsure about but too scared to ask, you are wrong! You should not be scared in the first place Supervisors are more than willing to answer all your questions. Do not attempt to dive into a subject you are unsure about, only to get feedback that you have done everything wrongly.
-New rules of PR and Marketing
PR and marketing do cross over all the time to this day. Never feel frustrated or unhappy if you are doing some marketing work during your placement and not the fluffy creative things of PR. In the real world, you are going to have to do market research, admin work, database management, a lot of research on events or trade shows on how to market the company's products or services. Do not be disheartened, that is 'PR' for you, you have to work along the side to get to the center of what you want.
- Articles and Media Releases
Always check and double check how a publication wants a story submitted. Generally, it is always articles for print or media releases for television/radio... However, it is a good habit to double check how they want it, unless, you dont want a chance of your story published.
All the best for your future endeavours! (:
1 comment:
What you said about marketing and PR overwriting is so true! even for uni assignments, the ideas that we give sometimes would sway off from PR and touch more on marketing without realising it. I think it's kind of a good thing coz we PR students can still go into marketing field and adapt more easily even without a marketing degree.
Post a Comment