Saturday, January 1, 2011

REALITY UNVEILED

· Learning theory is one thing and putting theory into practice is another, as a foreigner in a foreign place I have always found that comfort in sticking with my own people who understand me much better as a person and maybe have the same culture. Working at Thirtyfour I will say was like an adventure which it is really, it was a swirl of emotions. I was exited because this is my first job and I was determined to do my best, but then there is that chill of nervousness because I didn’t really know what to expect, who I will work with and all because as far as I can remember I have always been my own boss in my school work and if maybe I was a control freak it was for the good cause and in this case, change was giving me goose bumps. The first week I did the listings on the fashion directories , I was truly naïve about the field , my colleagues are nice , flexible but yet professional people . I was willing to learn and I got it after some time and one might think it is just nothing , I have to tell you this is something , the whole week I did directories and I have to admit it felt like I have been there for a year , waking up at 5:30 knocking off at 6 and arriving at home at 8/9 pm was no joke for me , even though I had to go to the cinema to at least watch cartoons which I hate I needed to ease up and program my mind that this is the real thing, the real world out there aint gonna be any different , maybe worse. During this whole week I learned to put values live productivity and timeliness into practice, I had to get used to the idea that the pressure I am facing now, there is plenty of it in that competitive industry .

1 comment:

Tshekedi(LUCT) said...

True, theory is far to be compared to the real world. When in the industry a lot is experienced like working with different characters of people and following the commands of the boss at all time.
The freedom of carrying duties at one`s own time has to be stopped and dead lines have to be adhered to.
Indeed you practiced international public relations as you were able to easily adjust to working conditions of your placement.
The same issue is faced by multinational companies when they operate globally adjusting to cultures tends to be a huge blow if not seriously considered.