Tuesday, May 17, 2011

PR is not only communication

Hi everyone,

I am available at the office 3 days a week, and I have met many other team members since the day I am on duty. However, I spend more time on other team’s work than my own. Most of the team members are CBS [Curtin Business School] students, and I am mass communication student with art background. Therefore, I got more experience and skills in design software like Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator. I have done at least 3 posters and 3 event promotions for the other team so far, and since then I am known as the technician of cbsplus.

I enjoy helping them, and I found this is a good start to build up relationship with them. Before I join the organization, I was afraid to join in the local team as I don’t know how and what to start the conversation with the new faces around. My colleagues and I helps each other at work. I help them with design and computer problems, while they help me to improve my English. From this, I found that in the real society, you will have to give before take, and that what you spend is what you get, relationships are such a simple maths.

2 comments:

motsei said...

hi Yik
i think its very good that you had a design software background. i for one did not get the chance to design anything or do any event promotions because i did not have much skill on how to use things like Photoshop and illustrator and i believe i missed out a lot. so not only were you important to the company for your public relations skills but also for your design and computer skills, sounds like you were a very important member of the team.

deleted blog said...

Hi, Yik Ming, I total agree with you when you say that pr is not just about communication but more about relationships. for example as pr intern what I learned was that my relationship with my boss was very vital. The more she trusted me the more she gave me work to do and gave me bigger responsibilities. And for any relationship to succeed there should be trust, just like colleague trusted your computer skills because your have developed a created that atmosphere of trust around.