Thursday, July 28, 2011

IT and Social Media

Hey Fellow PR Professionals

One main aspect of my work for Trusttech Australia was to help them with their social media strategy.

Just quickly Trusttech is an IT management company. They primarily deal with the infrastructure rather than problems with software (eg. Microsoft Office). Something I until had roughly no idea about. Aslo as a management company they are B2B.

Given the nature of the company, my boss and I initially agreed that using social media would not be relevant. We felt that Facebook was more tailored for business to consumer products. We also felt that the likelihood of a business looking of Facebook, LinkedIn, or Twitter for an IT Management company.

I did end up establishing social media pages for Trusttech. We came to this conclusion as the more internet presence and activity you have the better your Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) is. At the present time Trusttech's SEO had been falling. (Their website was out-of-date and most their clients were word-of-mouth.)

Even though Facebook and other social media might be highly unlikely to directly gain more customers for a company the spin-off effects can be worthwhile. At the workshop I attended this was one of the main points; people see you, know you and then talk about you.

I hope this lesson I learnt proves helpful to you in your placement or future employment.

Johanna Cook
Bentley
14285299

No comments: