Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Hyper Hyper HyperFEST!

Hey guys!

So I started my work experience last Wednesday (27th July) for the City of Swan as part of the Hyper team who run the 'Hyperfest' event each year.

Hyperfest
Hyperfest is an all ages music, art and culture festival held by the City of Swan each year and is a part of their 'Hyper' initiative. The Hyper initiative focuses on various activities throughout the year that encourages the participation of young people in the City of Swan. Hyperfest itself is in its 11th year and continually grown with the support of many volunteers and generous sponsors. This year's event will be held on 28th Aug (we're only three weeks out so it's all happening in the office at the moment) at Midland Railway Workshops. This year we have some of Australia's up and coming national acts as well as a host of local talents so it's sure to be an impressive event.

The music industry and events management are two areas where I have a particular interest so I felt completing my internship with the Hyperfest event would be the perfect combination of the two.

As the festival encourages young people to 'get involved', Hyperfest has a motivated and talented team of volunteers who meet every Sunday up until the event. I have had one meeting with the team so far but I think these meetings and liaising with the team will prove to be a great experience for future career endeavours. Being a member of the Marketing team (who also heavily engage in many PR type tactics) and also having some involvement with the duties of the Programming team will hopefully broaden my skill set (especially in the area of managing events).

So far, my particular responsibilities (which I am currently still working through) include: the organisation of Hyperfest's first ever Silent Disco, developing the public relations plans for Hyperfest's competitions on the day (MC, Skate & Scooter and Dance), and also completing the media release for the third lineup announcement. I'm very excited to delve into more of the areas I'll be working on in the weeks to come....so be sure to watch this space!

Finally, anyone who is interested in the festival should definitely come along! Only $20 for a ticket! For more info head to the Hyperfest Facebook page or http://www.hyperfest.com.au/Hyper_Festival.

Hope to see you there,
Hayley Sutton
14266799

No comments: