Thursday, April 19, 2012

An Introduction to My Experience In The Real World


Name: Lynette
Campus: Curtin University Sarawak

Hello!! It's Lynette in the house!!

Ah my very first blog entry, and a belated one. Sigh. I had been really busy for the past few weeks with some personal family issues, which I know is not an excuse nor a good reason for the oh-so-late blog post. So anyway, as unbelievable as it may sound, this is my very first blog entry in my entire life!

PR393 is one the units which I have to complete in order for me to graduate. It is also my final unit, the one and only unit for me this semester. After this, I can finally graduate!! I couldn't wait for that moment to come! It was not easy for me to look for a placement for my internship at all. The reason to this is because there are not many organizations here which actually has a Public Relations Department. Most of the companies here only have a marketing department. I can only try my luck with big, international companies such as Miri Marriott Resort and Spa and Sarawak Shell. I sent in my resume to both of these companies on December 2011. I waited for two whole months for a response from them, but unfortunately, I did not get any responses at all. I was getting really worried as time was running out. I need to get a placement as soon as possible in order for me to proceed with my unit. I sent in emails to them to follow up with the progress for my placement. My patience has finally paid off. One day, I checked my email and I received an email from Miri Marriott Resort and Spa! Boy, how ecstatic was I to find out that they accepted me to do my internship there. The training executive asked me to go for an interview on the designated date to get to know me better and to cut a long story short, the interview went perfectly well! I was really happy to know that I was placed under the PR Department in Marriott.

I started working on 1st March 2012.  There was basically nothing much for me to do on my first week of work. My supervisor, the PR Manager, taught me to do media monitoring and also how to use CorelDRAW. He told me that all of their advertisements, brochures, newsletters, posters and photo editing are done using this software. Apart from that, he told me everything that I have to know about Marriott such as all the Marriott brands around the world, the application they used to maintain their website which is APIC, e-channels such as FAST (e-commerce channel) and e-tools (e-marketing channel). I also had to read a thick file on International Lodging Public Relations Certification Programme in Marriott. Every employees in Marriott Hotel is required to complete this test and they will then receive a certificate of completion.

Basically this is what I have done in my first week in Marriott. How has your experience been everyone? Hope you guys had an amazing week! Feel free to drop some comments! I will post another entry again very soon. So stay tuned guys!!



No comments: