So this is it! My last day of work experience was finally here, but I still had a few things that needed to be finished. The Vice Chancellor's shield presentation is this Friday and I had to make sure that everything for the event was finalised and triple checked!
VIPs had responded to their invitations, gourmet food platters have been orded, trophy has been polished... Now for the hard part.. the run sheet and the speach notes! Every minute of this event has to count, my boss Stuart carefully informed me. We have an olympian hockey roo presenting the award and a highly acclaimed professor opening the event... haha no pressure right?
On the up side this event has been run every year for a long time, so let's have a big hooray for templates! But still my margin for error was ridiculously small if that. The hardest part, like writing anything was simply getting started, then the next task was making sure that every minute of this event had been planned and nothing had been missed. I think I have read my run sheet about 50 times so far, going over it with a fine tooth comb each time.
When I was done, Stuart then went over everything while I sat there and stressed. But luckily for me he seemed quite impressed and did not find any errors. YAY!
My last task to finalise was much more relaxing, I had to teach Stuart about the 'insights' section of our facebook pages. Or the 'weird swiggly graphs' that have no meaning according to him. I explained that when a status or an event is posted we can monitor how many people engaged with our post and what our reach was. He sat there and looked extremely lost. It took a while for him to understand that it is a great way to guage the successfulness of the facebook page. When he did finally get it, he was like ooooooh so that's what you have been doing every morning, I thought you were playing some kind of game. *sigh*
One thing I have definately noticed is that although he knew social media was vital when communicating with his target publics he really had no idea how to monitor and evaluate whether it's actually working. To me this seems crazy but it makes me wonder how many business out there are doing much the same thing...
I hope you all had as much fun as I did!
Bye for now
Jade
Welcome to PR Internship - YOUR opportunity to put everything you have learned over the past years at university into practice and to get a thorough insight into what public relations is like "in the real world". This Blog allows you to reflect on your experiences, share insights with other students across campuses and to possibly give advice and support to fellow students. Please also see http://http://printernship-reflections2.blogspot.com.au/ for more reflections.
Tuesday, May 1, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Thanks for sharing this excellent post. Great job.
River Cruise perth
Hi Jade,
You've brought up a really valid point about the use of Facebook for organisations and the word "use". I always think about how many businesses and organisations have a Facebook page but how many of them really "use" them? And how many of them know how to get the most out of them and really gauge with their publics?
I'm working full time as the manager of a retail store and I've been doing a lot of social media work for the business, setting up the page, organising competitions, uploading photos and posting lots of different things. Before I started working here, they had a Facebook page but all that was on it were photos of the shop, not the items and the last post was almost a year ago! So that's an example of a business having a Facebook page but not utilising it! Now people are calling our business wanting to buy items they have seen on our page, and paying for things via credit card over the phone even!
It's great you've been doing lots of social media work because I think it can be so beneficial to a company when done properly. It is pretty time consuming but I think it's a great way to interact with all your stakeholders and find out what they like and don't like in regards to your company! Such a good feedback mechanism and it's free for businesses to use so why not!!
Hope your internship has been great,
Lisa
Post a Comment