Friday, September 21, 2012

What would you like to do for a living?


Hello!

I'm Magdalene from the Singapore campus. I'm currently in my final semester, so it's really exciting to be working in a PR agency and get some real experience before I graduate.

Unlike some of my peers, I have not had any internship experience prior to this, so even searching for an internship placement was quite daunting. Thankfully, after four emails to four different prospective employers, one replied in April, two months prior to starting my internship.

The interview process was daunting, but I was well-prepared. Prior to the interview, I prepared a physical copy of the relevant PR assignments we did in school. With some advice from my lecturer, Ms Shalu, I had also prepped myself for the interview by understanding the kind of work the agency does and the industry they work in.

With some good luck shining on me, I was confirmed for an intern position at Grebstad Hicks Communications a month before I officially start my internship.

GHC has offices in five cities, and most of our clients are Asian-based, but we do get international clients such as luxury hotel chains. GHC specialises in PR in the travel and luxury lifestyle industries so our clients are mostly hotels, F&B outlets and luxury lifestyle brands.



Specialisation is a benefit to smaller PR agencies as the agency focuses and concentrates all its resources on a similar target audience. Travel, luxury, aviation, hospitality – these are some of the words that are of particular concern to us. We target the lifestyle and travel sections of newspaper and magazines; we aim to be associated with the likes of Tatler magazines and Conde Nast Traveller.

Another form of specialization we do is in the type of work we do. For us, it is media relations, as this is the agency’s core competency.

Public relations is often used interchangeably with media relations by many, however, they are vastly different concepts. The latter only addresses the relationship of the organisation with journalists and editors, and is a part of the former but not the only component of it.

Despite this confusion, it is probably universally recognized that building strong relations with the media is important. The extent of this importance of media relations can be illustrated by the amount of hours dedicated in our course to media relations – a 25-credits module, Public Relations (Media) 250.

My internship at GHC has definitely given me a better understanding of media relations and the effort that goes into building a good relationship with the media.

Meet-ups and phone calls are some of the basic initiatives from the part of a PR practioner that goes into building a good relationship with journalists and editors. Often, I find that calling up a journalist makes the job so much easier.

There was however, a different initiative that really caught my attention. At the office, there is an open invitation for journalists and freelance writers who need a space to work to come in and join us in the office. Once, I’ve met a journalist pop by and say thank you because we lent her a space to work. This really reinforces what we learn in media relations about understanding a journalist’s needs – needs that go beyond their need for newsworthy information.

Why did you choose to do Public Relations?

On several occasions, I have been asked why I chose to do public relations.

An initiative we took up in the office really sums up why I chose to do public relations in the first place.

Less than one month into my internship, we decided together as an office that we would do some pro-bono work for a charitable organisation. One meeting later, we picked Make-A-Wish Foundation Singapore as the charity of our choice. We have since started helping them with media relations work such as writing and distributing press releases and media liaison.

The choice to do pro-bono media relations work for a charitable organisation, is in my opinion, a really good decision made by the office.

Other than for reasons such as corporate responsibility and helping the charity raise their media profile, it makes the work we do so much more worthwhile. It transforms us to some extent, I feel, into ambassadors of the Public Relations industry. You ponder about how the job and industry you have chosen to be in can make a difference to the society and the less-privileged in the society.

It is a decision like this which makes me glad that I chose to be where I am now.

With much love,
Magdalene
15096324
Curtin Singapore

Next post: The little nitty-gritty daily things we do in the office!

No comments: