Monday, September 24, 2012

Fairs: a networking place

Hi Friendos,

A networking opportunity arose at the infotech at the Swami Vivekananda Internation Conventional Center (SVICC). The ICT fair is organised by the National Computer board: it was a chance for businesses to showcase emerging technologies as well as recruiting potential employees.

That's me on the left.

LIVECOMM Solutions did not represent any company at this fair but it was a good opening to get in contact with prospective clients. The most interesting booths were the forerunners of ICT in Mauritius; Emtel, Samsung and Orange as well as major distributors such as Cash & Carry.


From a PR Consultancy perspective, a fair can materialise into tangible clients and first impressions is everything: you need to be able to represent the company and yourself as a professional.
Unfortunately, i was not on the other side of the fair i.e to represent the company or a client. Better luck next time.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kevin,

I experienced the same feeling at the same event.. How strange is that? :)

I totally understand your point where you talked about networking. I guess that Mauritius is finally beginnning to understand the importance that networking has for companies and for individuals and you can see that when you notice all the advertising made about a whole lot of fairs organised.

I was able to start my own networking during this fair and was able to be presented to companies that I did not know of before.

Big or small, both were interesting and when you get the chance to have that direct contact as first impression it really helps in building up of your professional network.

Hope you'll enjoy more fairs before the end of your internship.

Good luck..

Astrid

Unknown said...

Hi Astrid,

I think the greatest challenge in Mauritius when it comes to Public Relations is its perception by professionals and companies alike & the understanding of what it is.

You can get a little tired of explaining to people what it is you actually do for a living.

Thank you for your comment.

Regards,
Kevin