Hi to all followers,
So today, my fourth
blog post will about a public relation activity that has been entrusted to me
for my last week at Imagine Communication. This consisted of setting up activities
for a candidate at the presidential elections of next year in Madagascar, Mr
Raharimanana, to introduce himself and develop a contact book in Mauritius.
Our main tasks were to
organise appointments for him with political parties, the media (radio and the
press) as well as with the CEOs of the main companies of the country dealing
with the economy so that he could present himself along with his projects for
Madagascar and the region.
Minutes
of Meeting
So firstly, was the
meeting with the CEO of Imagine Communication, Mr Jean-Marie Richard who explained
to us the project and gives us hints about whom to contact within each
organisation. Then, after the meeting, we had to prepare the minutes of meeting
which means structuring and setting up all information given to us to see if we
are on the right track.
Cover
letter
After this, I had to
prepare a draft of a cover letter that would be sent by email along with his
curriculum vitae and presentation of his projects. The project executive, who
was supervising our tasks, has used my cover letter partly to write the mail.
Contacting
the media outlets
Then, the other day, I
was responsible for contacting the media outlets and setting appointments based
on the planning of Mr Raharimanana. I also had to send e-mails of the cover
letter along with CV and project presentation for them to have a look at and
prepare questions which would be asked to them.
Redesigning
the planning
At the end of the day,
I was also asked to redesign the planning in a better format for Mr
Raharimanana to better understand and not be confused. So, I scheduled the
planning again, adding all new appointments that we had obtained during the day
and search for addresses of the offices in which he had appointments.
Attending
meetings
The other day, when the
appointments were already fixed; we had the opportunity to accompany Mr
Raharimanana to his appointments with the leader of MSM, one of the main
political parties, Mr Pravind Jugnauth, with the Lord Mayor of Port Louis Mr
Kodabaccus as well as with the Communication Manager of the Government, Mr
Subash Gobine. This was the most interesting part of this project and a great
opportunity for us as we have been able to learn how these kinds of meetings unfold
and to better understand how politics function in Mauritius.
Report
of Meetings
We have also been given
the opportunity to write a report to the CEO about the meetings; in there, I
included what Mr Raharimanana said and what advices have been given to him by
the person he met.
This project for Mr Raharimanana,
as a whole was a great opportunity which has enabled us to learn how to deal and
make arrangements with those three sectors to obtain appointments. It was quite
successful, as we have been able to achieve about twenty appointments.
It was not an easy task
but which has been very worthwhile for us. It was enormous experience which I
have grasped every single procedure which will be useful for me when I will be
in the professional world.
Thank you for reading
my blog post and I will soon be back for another post which will be to sum up
my whole experience at Imagine Communication and the lessons I have retained
form these experiences.
Natacha
3 comments:
Hi Natacha,
Interesting post and a lot of paperwork i am pretty familiar with. Those tasks seem sometimes to be useless e.g meeting minutes but when the company is in charge of several accounts at the same time, it can get rather confusing and those paperwork ensure a better follow up.
Looking forward to your last post on your experiences.
Regards,
Kevin
Hello,
Been there. Done that. Haha.
I guess what we as PR students do while interning are generically similar in nature. Though one thing that is slightly different may be the environment. From one post that I've read, the author mentioned that PR actually stands for personal relationship which from my point of view I totally agree. Success and failure and work doesn't only depend on your capability in accomplishing tasks assigned but more importantly is the connection and relationship that we establish with people we deal with on a daily basis. Imagine the consequences if we offended our superiors or worse the customers. Curtin should really provide internship placements for not only PR students but for all as we can only learn so much in school. Alright I think I shall stop here. If I continue on I could just ramble whole day. Lol. Thanks again for your post. : )
Hello,
Thank you both of you for your comment and attention...
@Kevin:
I know, it is not fun tasks; however it is essential to manage our clients in a consultancy. It will be so confusing if these tasks are not done...
@Phebe:
Yes I agree that personal relationships are integral in PR, without networking, connections and relationships; it is hard to achieve good PR...So true!!!Thanks for raising this point
Thank you,
Natacha
Post a Comment