Hey everyone!
Sorry it's been a while. Been very busy with work lately. Everything is going well though and I'm loving my internship! I'm almost certain PR is the right career choice for me as I love everything my boss gets me to do. Yes, I know it can be a stressful job but I have the genuine interest in it.
Lately, my boss has been asking me to draft up releases for Christmas promotions as well as New Year and Chinese New Year specials. Getting these releases done early is vital as magazines will close the books for the following month at a certain time. PR and the media have a very co-dependent relationship. It may seem like PR need media more but this is not the case. Editors do call in sometimes to ask for any promotions to fill up their columns. It was great to be actually writing a real press release that could appear in a magazine soon!
Besides print media, my bosses and I have been looking at TV opportunities. I attended a shooting for a cooking show featuring our head chef which was great fun! I got to see how a cooking style show was filmed and it surprisingly only took an hour and half to compete it all! Very soon, we will receive a CD from the TV company with the clipping which we then use to calculate PR value in our monthly media report. We look at the time and multiply that by the amount of people watching to get a number. Obviously this is so much more valuable than a print article.
Another TV channel has expressed interest in our Japanese chef and his unique style of cooking. Our job was to get all the relevant information such as the time it would take to perform his 'tricks' and how many he could do in a certain time, as well the ingredients he would need. I also filmed a short clip to showcase his skills which we then sent to the company for them to decide whether they want to confirm the real shooting. Fingers crossed we get it!
Then we had a new chef come in and I had to draft an 'appointment' press release for him. My boss went to personally interview him as she wanted to find out if there was anything he could do specially that could garner media attention. Turns out, he was writing a cook book and it could be useful to plan an event around it in the future.
So when dealing with the media, it's important to analyze the media potential in what you have and look for any media opportunity you can in print, TV and radio and try to get something in there. You never know unless you try!
Until next time!
Christy Lau Su Mei
15130659
Curtin Bentley (for Sem 1, 2013)
Welcome to PR Internship - YOUR opportunity to put everything you have learned over the past years at university into practice and to get a thorough insight into what public relations is like "in the real world". This Blog allows you to reflect on your experiences, share insights with other students across campuses and to possibly give advice and support to fellow students. Please also see http://http://printernship-reflections2.blogspot.com.au/ for more reflections.
3 comments:
Hello Christy,
From your post I can tell that you had a very great time in your company, especially when dealing with Media Relations.
In my opinion, media is important for PR, especially when it comes to create news topic among the target audiences and build company image. I think your company is good at utilise media to promote the hotel as well!
Also, building a positive relations with media will benefits the company as the company will get the support from the media in terms of maximise media coverage, do you agree?
In my company, media relations is intense only when there is a launching of new project, which I think isn't enough, hence, I am currently preparing a media relations proposal for my manager. Hopefully it will be approved by my managing director!
God Bless =)
It was really nice looking at PR from your perspective and experience, Christy.
I believe many of us are stuck to desk bound duties being an intern. Take me for example, a typical day for me in the office would consist of media monitoring in the moring, followed by some editorial work and any ad hoc duties or assignments. It do become a little mundane over time, so much I jumped at the opportunity to do inventory updates for the corporate office. So, I do really envy you for having the chance to step out of the office to experience the live shootings that you did.
Please continue to share more. Really dying to hear what PR has to offer before i deem it as the most boring job in the world(I'm kidding).
Merry christmas to you! Enjoy your holidays!
Hi Christy,
Whao! It's a fantastic experience!
From your post and my experience, we can know PR and Media is a nice match which can't be separated. Nowadays, media is the most powerful and influential tool. Everyone is using media and every company would like to have the maximum media coverage in order to build their positive image but media will also want to get back their benefits from the company.
As we can see, it is a two-way transaction and it has to be a win-win situation. Marriott has done a great job in dealing with media. So, these are my opinion.
Hope to know more about your PR life soon. All the best!
Post a Comment