Monday, December 17, 2012

When The Journey Begins with Two Weeks Tour

Greetings to all PR practitioners,

I believe most of us had gone through a very hard time to get an intern position, so do I! From the moment I know I have to find a PR position for this unit, I did all the neceesary research to find the suitable company. Fortunately, with God's bless, I finally begin my journey after received an offer from the company that I am currently working for, Austin Heights Sdn Bhd. 

Austin Heights is a company that grown from a construction-based company to a well-established and reputable property developer in the sourthen region of Malaysia. Unlike other typical land developers, Austin Heights aims to build a diversified community hub that contains education corridor, houses, commercial centre, industrial park, leisure resort and family theme park. With these development, Austin Heights intends to build a quality life for its residents.

The first two weeks of my internship is so called 'corporate tour weeks'! Yes, you are right, corporate tour for two week. As Austin Heights has four main divisions (Property, Education, Resort, Residential Management), my supervisor Ms Nirmala has gave me two week to get familiar with all the division and know their responsibility. I went to Corporate Office and Private and International School on the first week; Residential Management Office and Property Sales and Marketing Office for the second week.

Within these two weeks, I realised that even though there isn't any PR department in the company, but PR is everywhere and been well-practicing in the company for a long time, where customer relations, resident relations, employee relations, media relations are all done by different divisions. Which immediately eliminate the thought of 'there is only little PR exist in this company' in my mind.  

After the two-week-tour, my supervisor ask me to write a report regarding the familiarization and what I have learned in these two weeks. Also, I was given an opprotunity to choose a department to work in, guess where will I be?

Will let you know in next post, stay tuned!



Koh Li Shi, Liz 
15091853  
Miri, Sarawak



4 comments:

Ee Boon said...

Hi Liz,

It is interesting to know you have a 2 weeks corporate tour period. Mine was merely 30mins before I got down to start working. No complains though as you can see how much there is for me to post about. But still, lucky you!

Anyway, I'm Ee Boon from the Singapore campus. Really nice little post you got up there. I see you chose to work in house rather than at an agency as well. Any particular reason for that? Would be nice to hear some different perspectives. I have to be frank that I was going for some work-life balance after hearing about the long irratic hours at agencies.

I look forward to hear more about your work.

Goodluck and take care!

Christy Lau said...

This is super interesting! A two week touring period? You're lucky! My hotel has a specific PR department filed under Sales and Marketing. I wonder though how you will pick which department to work in as it sounds like there are so many PR related things!

Looking forward to hearing more! Good luck!

ricky.tan1110 said...

Hello Liz,

It's sound like a great experience for you since you had given an opportunity to work in different department for the first two week. You are so lucky, because you can learn how to apply the PR knowledge in different departments.

Look forward to hear more about your work and Enjoy your internship in Austin Heights! Good Luck =)

Unknown said...

Hi Liz,

I'm glad to hear you are doing your internship in Austin Heights. What a familiar name that I can hear and know it in JB. Haha! It's great. PR department seems like not exist in many companies even those big companies will not actually offer this position. But PR jobs are existing in every company and just not done by the actually PR person and done by sales person or marketing person.

So wish you have a happy life in Austin!