I am currently doing my internship at a company called Momentum Forum Events, a small company responsible for some pretty big events including the Annual Pink Ribbon Ball and the Perth Pet Expo (my excitement levels for this event are going through the roof!).
I had heard a lot from previous students about what they had done while working there, much of which consisted of liaising with sponsors and exhibitors for various events, which meant a whole lot of making phone calls and I am unreasonably terrified of making phone calls (Ill let you all know how that turns out). However this internship meant finding a role which would challenge me and push me to new limits so I decided that this was the role for me.
I stepped into this internship not having any idea what would be expected of me which quite obviously made me a sack of nerves on my first day! I got thrown straight into the craziness as the first event (the International Woman's Day Luncheon) was only a few weeks away and I had to be prepped on everything and everyone that this event was about. Considering every single event held by Momentum Forum Events is HUGE, it was a lot of information to take in and once I had my very brief but comprehensive introduction it was straight into the work. I remember my first day feeling as if I had only been there for 2 hours by the time I had finished an 8 hour day.
I very quickly had to learn to think on my feet as we regularly got called together to brainstorm ideas for new ways to make the events better. It is always very exciting to see my ideas get used especially knowing that hundreds of others will get too see and experience my ideas also. I also very quickly learned that time is very sacred in this crazy world of events and somehow you have to learn how to squeeze 15 hours of work into a small 8 hour day. The day doesn't start at 9 and end at 5, especially as the event get closer. We regularly found ourselves not even realising that home time had come and passed.
As much as what I thought I knew a lot about events and PR, I quickly got reminded about everything I still need to learn to make it in this crazy world which I will share with you in the weeks to come.
I'd like to leave you all with a quote to keep you motivated to take on the challenges in this exciting time of our lives:
Until the next post...
Taila Sheppard
16109948
As much as what I thought I knew a lot about events and PR, I quickly got reminded about everything I still need to learn to make it in this crazy world which I will share with you in the weeks to come.
I'd like to leave you all with a quote to keep you motivated to take on the challenges in this exciting time of our lives:
Taila Sheppard
16109948

No comments:
Post a Comment